A default document is the file that is sent by the web server when it receives a request for a URL that does not specify a file name. A default document can be the home page of a web site, or an index page that displays a hypertext listing of the contents of the site or folder.
You can configure the default document settings and specify more than one default document for your web site or folder. The web server searches for and serves default documents in the order in which they are listed and returns the first document that it finds. If the first document in the list is unavailable, the server displays the next default document in the list. If no match is found and directory browsing is activated for that site or folder, the server returns a folder listing. If directory browsing is not activated, the server returns an HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden message to the browser.
Note: If you use one default document or use the first document in the list, this speeds up the request time.
- Navigate to HostPilot® Control Panel > Web/FTP Server > Web Server > Settings and Permissions > Web Server Settings
- Click Select a Directory, select Htdocs, then wait until you see the directory opened and click Select button
- Specify the list of your default documents, separating their names with a comma
- Click Save Changes button
- Connect to IIS using IIS Remote Manager
- In the Features View, double-click Default Document
- In the Actions pane, click Add...
- In the Add Default Document dialog box, type the name of the default document that you want to add in the Name box, and then click OK.
- If necessary, in the Actions pane, select a default document in the list, and then click Move Up or Move Down to define the order in which IIS should search through the default document list.
You may also add a default document with web.config file.
- Navigate to HostPilot > Web/FTP Server > Apache Server > Server Settings
- In the Directory Index boxspecify the list of your default documents, separating their names with space
- Click Save Changes button.