In order for Exchange account to function properly in Outlook, you must have a special DNS record set up for your domain name which points to the Intermedia Autodiscover server.
You need to set up the Autodiscover record for your domain name to have the following Exchange features:
- Outlook 2007/2010/2013 setup using Autodiscovery.
- Outlook 2016 setup.
- Outlook 2011/2016 for Mac and Entourage EWS setup using Autodiscovery.
- Free/Busy information in your calendar.
- Out of Office
autoresponsemessages setup in Outlook.
Note: Without the Autodiscover record you can use Outlook Web Access to set up automatic replies.
- Offline Address Book synchronization.
- Folder Sharing with sending out the Sharing invitation. Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Share (Let Others See) My Outlook Folders? for more information.
- Access to Public Folders in Exchange 2013/2016.
- Shared mailbox auto-mapping. Read the Knowledge Base article How Does Mailbox Auto-Mapping Feature Work in Exchange 2010/2013? for more information.
If you use Intermedia DNS servers (i.e. your Name Servers point to the Intermedia servers), the necessary DNS record will be created automatically for your domain once you register the domain name on your Intermedia Exchange account. You can check this record in HostPilot® Control Panel > Services > Domains > click Domain Name > DNS Records tab.
If you do not use Intermedia DNS servers, you will need to contact your DNS Server System Administrator (or DNS provider) to set up the record:
- Create a subdomain called autodiscover.yourdomain.com
- Add a CNAME record for autodiscover.yourdomain.com that points to the Intermedia Autodiscovery DNS record. This record is listed in HostPilot® Control Panel on the Get Started Here! page, under the Advanced Settings section.
Below you can find instructions on setting up a CNAME record for common DNS providers:
Important note: Due to the distributed nature of DNS, the CNAME record you create following the instructions in this article may take up to 72 hours to propagate across the Internet. You will be able to take advantage of the AutoConnect feature only when DNS changes have fully propagated. If you do not know how to check that, just wait a few hours and then try to configure a new Outlook or Entourage EWS profile using this feature.
You can check if the record is set up and working by the following means:
- When you have added the CNAME for autodiscover.yourdomain.com you can look it up, for instance, using MxToolbox to make sure you set it up correctly:
- You can test Autodiscover record from your machine using Test Email Autoconfiguration tool. When you run it you should see your Exchange server in the settings the tool will list. Read the Knowledge Base article on What does the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration tool do? for further instructions.
Note: if your account was migrated from On-Premises Exchange