You can export items such as mail messages, tasks, contacts, notes, and calendar events from Entourage into an archive file (.rge extension). This allows you to store information in another location and remove it from Entourage or to make a backup of your Entourage information without removing it.
Important: When making backups and archives, keep the following in mind:
- You cannot export: groups, notes with multimedia elements, and category information for all items except contacts.
- When exporting messages stored on a mail server, the entire contents of a message are exported only if the message has been downloaded from the mail server.
- Even if you delete items after exporting, messages stored on the mail server will NOT be deleted.
To archive or back up Entourage items:
- Empty all Deleted Items folders to avoid getting items you do not want.
- Go to File > Export.
- Select 'Export items to an Entourage archive' and select the items that you want to include.
- Under 'Archive the following item types', select the types of items that you want to include, and then click on the right arrow to continue.
- Choose whether or not you want to delete the items that you are exporting, and then click the right arrow to continue.
- Enter a name for the archive file and a location to store it, and then click on Save.
To restore Entourage items:
- Got to File > Import.
- Click 'Import information from an Entourage archive' and then click on the right arrow to continue.
- Find the .rge folder that you want to import and then click on Import.
- If you need to refer to information stored in an archive temporarily, create a new identity and import the information into it. Then, when you are finished, you can simply delete the new identity.
- If you want to explore the contents of an archive, press Control+click on the .rge folder and then click on 'Show Package Contents'.