Intermedia offers two types of email archiving services:
- Basic archiving (MessageMirror®): Allows you to back up all messages sent and received by Exchange users. A user who has certain access permissions can always access the archive mailbox to view or delete messages from the archive. Please read more about this service in the following articles:
For Exchange users: MessageMirror In Exchange
Compliant Email Archiving: Allows you to archive all messages in accordance with the legal documents listed in the next section of this article. If you subscribe to the Compliant Archiving service, you sign an agreement with an archiving provider. Your provider will access your archive mailbox. You may use Intermedia or another provider.
Why do companies need to subscribe to Compliant Email Archiving?
A number of recent legislative changes have brought about stricter rules on how companies must retain their email and electronic records. With the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and other SEC and NASD requirements, violators risk multi-million dollar fines or even jail time. The compliant archiving solution satisfies the following regulatory requirements for the proper handling of email:
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX)
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP)
Intermedia offers compliant archiving service called Email Archiving for hosted Exchange accounts. You may also enable compliant archiving with
How to enable Compliant Archiving:
- Complies with regulations including FRCP, SEC, GLBA, HIPPA, HITECH and SOC
- 100% data capture across devices and platforms (including POP/IMAP accounts)
- Encryption both in-transit and at-rest
- Simple, flexible searching, filtering, tagging and recovery methods
- Export options include PST, SF, EML, HTML, PDF and other formats
- Unlimited storage and infinite scale
- End-user access via My Services (accessible though the web or Outlook)
To enable Email Archiving provided by Intermedia on the account:
- Navigate to HostPilot® Control Panel > Services > Archiving.
- Click Go To Installation Page button.
Note: To use a 3rd-party archiving provider, click on click here link (If you prefer to use a 3rd-party provider for your archiving, click here).
Read the Knowledge Base article on Email Archiving: Getting Started for more information.
If you choose this option:
- The password for the archive mailbox is sent ONLY to the archiving provider.
- You will not need to provide the Intermedia partner with any settings. Everything will be set up server-side on the Intermedia end.
- For LiveOffice: The selected users will be able to access their personal archives.
To enable compliant archiving provided by a partner of Intermedia on your account:
- Navigate to HostPilot > Services > Compliance > Third Party Archiving Enablement.
- Select Intermedia partner archiving provider and click ENABLE COMPLIANT ARCHIVING.
- Intermedia will send all necessary information directly to the selected provider.
Note: By clicking on the Enable Compliant Archiving button, you hereby agree that Intermedia may forward your company name, contact name, telephone number, email address and postal address to the selected compliant archiving provider in order for such provider to contact you.
- The archiving provider will contact you with further instructions.
If you choose this option:
- The password for the archive mailbox is sent ONLY to the account owner.
- You will need to provide the Intermedia partner with all the necessary settings, and they will need to establish a connection to Intermedia servers.
- Data starts being archived from the moment you enable Compliant Archiving. Please contact Compliant Archiving provider to discuss the possibility of archiving the old data.
To enable compliant archiving provided by another provider on your account:
- You must first sign a separate agreement with your preferred partner.
- Once you have an account with the selected company, navigate to HostPilot > Services > Compliance > Third Party Archiving Enablement.
- Select Other Provider and click the ENABLE COMPLIANT ARCHIVING button.
- When the previous step is complete it means that the archive mailbox is created on your account. The notification email will be sent to the administrator's email address with the information that should be forwarded to your archive provider. The e-mail also includes the credentials for the archive mailbox. Third-party would need to use Port 993/SSL for secure IMAP connection, and Port 995/SSL for secure POP connection to an archive mailbox.
Note: Once the password for the archive mailbox is created, it is sent ONLY to the account owner. The only way to get the password in case of its loss would be to reset it. If you lose the password for the archive mailbox, please contact Support.
Then there are two possible scenarios:
- Forward the information in the notification email to your archive provider. After the information is received by the provider, they must connect to the Intermedia Exchange server via POP/IMAP to access the archive mailbox and then download and delete the content from the server. This way the archiving provider receives a copy of each message sent and received by all users on the account.
- Your archive provider gives you the email address and specifies the type of connection to it. Contact support to provide that information and to set up the journaling rule to push all archive emails to the desired email address.