This article describes how to set up a Cisco SPA/Linksys SPA phone to work with the Hosted PBX service.
Note: To purchase phones for use with the Intermedia Hosted PBX service, contact Support at 1-800-379-7729, and choose option 3. Read the Knowledge Base article on Supported IP Phones for more information about the types of phones that are supported.
To setup a Cisco SPA/Linksys SPA phone follow the steps below:
Get configuration information
- Log in to HostPilot® Control Panel and navigate to Services > Hosted PBX > Manage Users > click on the Display Name of a user > click the Hosted PBX tab.
- On the current page you will see PBX Server Name. Click on the Edit Phone Device Settings to see Phone ID and phone Password. Read the Knowledge Base article on How do I configure an IP phone? for more information.
Important note: Each device has to be registered with the PBX using a unique Device ID. If user would like to use multiple devices (e.g. multiple IP phones, softphone clients, etc.), your administrator will need to generate additional device IDs in the HostPilot. Your administartor can add another device in HostPilot > Services > Hosted PBX > Manage Users > click on the Display Name of the user > Phones > Activate existing phone link.
- Plug in the phone's power cord and network cable. The phone begins initializing and the lights on the phone will flash (this should take about 5 seconds to complete). While the phone is connecting, it automatically finds the local DHCP server and gets its IP address.
- Obtain the IP address of your phone
- Press the Setup button (this button looks like a piece of paper with a folded corner).
- In the Setup menu, navigate to Status. Scroll to Network Status and press select to view the IP address of the phone.
- On your computer, open a Web browser and type the phone's IP address in the browser's address bar. You will see the web interface for configuring your phone.
- Click Admin Login > Advanced.
- Click the tab Ext 1and enter the following settings:
- Under NAT Settings set
- NAT Mapping Enable: Yes
- NAT MappingAlive Msg: $NOTIFY
- NAT Keep Alive Enable: No
- NAT Keep Alive Dest: $PROXY
- Under SIP Settings set
- SIP Transport: UDP
- SIP Port: 5060
- Under Proxy and Registration set
- Proxy: enter your PBX Server Name (as shown in the user settings in HostPilot or My Services)
- Use DNS SRV: set to Yes
- DNS SRV Auto Prefix: set to Yes
- Proxy Redundancy Method: set to Based on SRV Port
- Under Subscriber Information
- User ID: enter the Device ID
- Password: enter phone Password (as shown in the Phone Settings in HostPilot or My Services)
If you see an "x" on the phone display, it means the phone is not set up correctly or not connected to the server. Check that you have completed all the steps correctly, and if you are not able to resolve the issue, contact Support.
You may want to change other settings for the phone as well. For example, to change the name of the extension that is displayed on the phone display, go to the Phone tab, and change the value of Short Name for the corresponding line.
You can also set up Voice Mail button. For instructions read the Knowledge Base article on Configuring Voice Mail Button for Hosted PBX Devices.