Before you can open a shared folder, you must know who granted you access and what type of folder it is. Read the Knowledge Base article How To Share Folders In Outlook 2011 For Mac for information on how to share a folder.
This article describes two ways to open a shared folder. The first method will allow you to open an Inbox, Contacts or Calendar folder. If you need to open Tasks or Notes, you must use the second method, which uses the Delegates settings.
Note: the folder must be shared with the Reviewer permissions at least.
Option 1: Using the Open Other User's Folder feature
To open a shared Inbox, Contacts or Calendar folder:
- In Outlook go to File > Open > Other User's Folder.
- In the Open Other User's Folder window, in the User box, type the email address of the folder's owner, or select the user from the address book. In the Type box, select which folder you need to open (Inbox, Calendar or Contacts). Click on OK.
- The folder will appear in your folder list on the left side of the Outlook window.
Option 2: Using the Delegates settings
To open a shared Inbox, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks or Notes folder:
- In Outlook, go to Tools > Account. Select your account in the list in the left pane, click on Advanced, and switch to the Delegates tab.
Under 'People I am a delegate for', click on '+' to add a person.
- Type the name or email address of the user who shared the folder with you, then click on Find. Select the user on the list and click on OK.
- Click on OK again and close the Accounts window. All the folders shared with you by this user will appear in your folder list on the left side of the Outlook window.
How to Remove Other User's Folder:
- Open your Outlook 2011 account and navigate to this folder.
- Right-click on the folder and select 'Remove from View':
- The shared folder will no longer be showing in your account.