Extensions are optional. They can be used for internal dialing by your Hosted PBX users when they are calling each other. They are also used by the Voice Menu and Hunt Group systems for forwarding calls to users.
Note: You can select the length of extensions (3, 4, 5 digits) when the Hosted PBX service is initially enabled for your account.
To assign an extension to a user:
- In HostPilot, navigate to the Users > Hosted PBX page.
- Click the display name of the user. This opens the Edit Selected User page.
- Click the Hosted PBX tab.
- Click the link next to the Extension field.
- In the Extension box, type the number you want to use as this person's extension and click Save Changes.
The extension number is added to the user's contact card in the address book as Business Phone. If there was already a number for that field, the previous business phone is copied to the Notes section of the contact card.
Deleting a user's extension
If you want to delete a user’s extension, first check whether the user is a member of a Hunt Group or receives forwarded calls from the Voice Menu. If so, please note that the user will be automatically removed from any Hunt Groups and from the Voice Menu and will not be able to receive Hunt Group calls or calls forwarded from the Voice Menu (read the Knowledge Base articles How to set up Hunt Groups and How to set up the Voice Menu for more information).