- Download VMware vCenter Converter Standalone from VMware website.
Note: You will have to login with your VMware account credentials (register for free if you do not have one).
Perform a local installation on a server that you want migrated to Intermedia Business Cloud
- Login as local Administrator and double-click the VMwareconverter-5.x.x-<xxxxx>.exe file, where <xxxxx> is the number of the build and select language for the install process.
- Accept License Agreement.
- Select the location to install the Converter.
- Select Local installation.
- Complete the setup.
Prepare machine for conversion
- The following Windows services must be running on the source server for Converter to work properly: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios Helper and Volume Shadow Copy (Windows XP/2003, can be set to manual, but not disabled).
- Make sure the VMware Converter Windows services are running.
- Ensure you have at least 200 MB free on your source server's C drive.
- Disable any antivirus software running on the source server.
- Shutdown applications that are running on the source server; only leave standard MS Services running.
- Run chkdsk and defragment your source server's hard disks.
- Clean-up any temporary and unnecessary files on the source server. The less data that needs to be copied the better. However, don't delete files if you have any doubts.
- Keep users off the source server while cloning.
- Connect external USB drive. Make sure it’s empty and big enough to hold the image of the converting server.
Convert a machine
- Launch Converter Client.
- Click on Convert machine.
- You will be convering local, powered-on machine.
- Destination type is VMware Workstation 8.0.x.
- Review summary.
- Click Finish and start the conversion. Check the Status and Estimated end time.
- Wait for conversion to be completed. You will see 2 files on your external drive. Ship the drive to Intermedia when done.