This article describes a 3-step process of moving mailbox data:
within one organization. The steps are:
- Export an existing mailbox data
- Change mailbox type in HostPilot® Control Panel
- Import the data to a new mailbox
Important: by design, both Exchange and POP/IMAP users are assigned an x500 Exchange address which is used for internal delivery by Exchange servers and is associated with an Active Directory object (not an email address). When you delete a user, their x500 address is deleted with the AD object, but it can remain associated with email addresses in Outlook and Webmail cache. If you receive the #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound non-delivery report after the conversion, try the following solutions:
- Remove the email address from the To field and type it manually when replying to an email.
- Delete the cached entry in your Outlook and re-create it for a new user. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Reset The Outlook Nickname Autocompletion Cache for more information.
- Contact Support and provide them with the full text of the bounce back message to add an old x500 address to a new user AD object.
Note: if no bounce back is available, Support can obtain the x500 address from the Event Log. However, full bounce back message is needed to compare the addresses.
To convert a POP/IMAP mailbox to Exchange:
- Use Outlook client to:
- find an existing .pst file with mailbox data:
- Outlook 2010/2013/2016: Navigate to File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files tab, select the PST and click Open File Location to open the folder.
- Outlook 2007: Go to Tools > Account Settings and open the Data Files tab. Double-click the data file for the POP/IMAP mailbox and find its location.
- or export mailbox data to a .pst file. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Export Data In Outlook.
- Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Configure Outlook 2007/2010 To Connect To A POP/IMAP Mailbox? for more information.
- Outlook Backup service (HostPilot > Outlook Backup). You can upload the exported .pst file and restore it to the Exchange Mailbox. Read the Knowledge Base article on Overview Of Outlook Backup for instructions.
- or Outlook client. You can create a profile for the new mailbox (using Outlook Profile Helper or manually) and import the .pst file. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Import Data To Outlook for more information and instructions.
To convert an Exchange mailbox to POP/IMAP:
- Export the data from the Exchange mailbox using:
- Outlook Backup service (HostPilot > Outlook Backup). You can create a mailbox backup and download a .pst file. Read the Knowledge Base article on Overview Of Outlook Backup for more information and instructions.
- or Outlook client. You can export the data from the mailbox profile to a .pst file. Read the Knowledge base article on How To Export Data In Outlook.
- Log in to HostPilot and navigate to Services > Exchange Mailboxes.
- Uncheck the box next to the Exchange user you want to convert to POP/IMAP and click Proceed and Confirm:
- Navigate to the POP/IMAP Email tab and click Display all users.
- Find the user, check the box in the POP/IMAP EMail column next to their name and click Proceed and Confirm:
- Configure an Outlook profile for the new POP/IMAP mailbox. Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Configure Outlook 2007/2010/2013 To Connect To A POP/IMAP Mailbox?
- Import the data from PST to the new profile on the user's computer. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Import Data To Outlook.