This article describes how to manage policy level Safe & Blocked senders lists. Instructions for management of personal Safe & Blocked senders lists can be found here.
Important: If the entry is blacklisted or whitelisted on the same level, policy level or end user level, then Safe Senders list overrides Blocked Senders List. However, if the entry is blacklisted or whitelisted on different levels, Blocked Senders list overrides Safe Senders list.
- Blocked Senders Management
- Safe Senders Management
- Bypassing Individual Checks
- Require Authentication
To restrict particular senders from sending to your company, navigate to Inbound Policy > select the policy > Blocked Senders.
You can add an email address, domain or IP address of the sender you want to block. IP ranges and wildcards are supported too.
You can enter blocked senders manually or import list from .TXT file:
- The file should have .TXT extension.
- Entries must be separated by commas, semicolons, spaces or lines.
To secure the delivery of the email, a sender can be added to Safe Sender list, so that particular checks are not performed against their emails.
To manage safe senders, navigate to Inbound Policy > select the policy > Safe Senders.
You can add an email address, domain or IP address of the sender you want to whitelist. IP ranges and wildcards are supported too.
Important: we strongly recommend NOT to add your own domain under Safe Senders. This will cause a problem with our spam filtering services and allow spam messages to pass into your Inbox.
By default Spam and Marketing checks are bypassed for every Safe Sender.
You can manage the bypassed checks for every sender. To select which checks will be bypassed for an individual Safe Sender, click Manage next to the required entry.
The following checks can be bypassed:
- Phishing (not available for Email Protection Lite)
- Dangerous attachment
- URL Protection (not available for Email Protection Lite)
- Emails that have no checks to be bypassed will go through all checks as normal.
- If email triggers more than 1 safe sender, all the bypass checks will be applied accordingly. For example: Safe Sender ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ has Spam, Marketing and Phishing checks bypassed. And Safe Sender ‘domain.com’ has Dangerous attachments check bypassed. An email is coming from email@example.com. The email triggers both Safe Senders entries. The email will bypass: Spam, Marketing, Phishing and Dangerous attachment checks.
Bulk import of Safe Senders
You can enter safe senders manually or import list from file. Safe senders can be imported in bulk in 2 ways:
1) Via .TXT file – it will import senders with default bypass settings. Entries must be separated by lines only.
2) Via .CSV file – it will import senders with the specified bypassed checks, where 1 - check is bypassed, 0 - check is NOT bypassed. Each sender entry must be on a separate line with their bypass settings separated by commas. Headers with the bypassed checks names must be valid.
Note: Please use TXT and CSV templates to make sure the data is properly uploaded.
||New entries||Matching entries||Missing entries|
|Import and Merge||will be added with the default checks||will be kept with their current checks||will be kept with their current checks|
|Import and Overwrite||will be added with the default checks||will be rewritten with the default checks||will be removed|
||Senders and their bypass settings
||Import and Merge||will be added with the bypassed checks from the file. If check column is missing from the file – default values will be applied||will be kept, but their bypassed checks will be re-written with the checks from the file. If check column is missing from the file – current value will be kept||will be kept with their current bypassed checks|
|Import and Overwrite||will be added with the bypassed checks from the file. If check column is missing from the file – default values will be applied||will be kept, but their bypassed checks will be re-written with the checks from the file. If check column is missing from the file – default values will be applied||will be removed|
Note: you can use this option to change bypassed checks for all Senders in bulk. For example, to bypass Marketing check for all senders instead of Dangerous attachment check, you need to set 1 in the Bypass Marketing column and leave Dangerous attachment column and other columns with 0.
You will see these notification signs if the same sender is added to both Blocked Senders and Safe Senders lists simultaneously.
It is possible to add additional checks to the address in Safe Sender list to ensure it is indeed the valid sender.
If there are already any bypassed checks for address or domain and Require Authentication is enabled, the checks will be bypassed only if an email has successfully passed the authentication.
Email will be considered successfully authenticated when both of the following are true:
- SPF check is passed
- From address matches the envelope-from address
To enabled Authentication check,
- Navigate in HostPilot > Services > Email Protection > Inbound Policies and select the Policy
- Navigate to Safe Senders and check the box next to necessary email address or domain.
Note: Authentication checks can not be enabled for IP addreses.