Policy Creation Overview
The following outlines the steps involved in creating a new policy. Please refer to Policy-Based Encryption Administrator Guide (pdf) for more information.
Important: Recipient & Sender Groups will accept full email addresses only. Domain names alone will not work. Also if you need to add Regular Expressions, you need to submit a request by contacting Intermedia Support.
- Define the purpose of the policy (e.g., what you need to encrypt, what you need to watch for, etc.).
- Gather the information required to create the list(s) (e.g., email addresses, keywords, etc.).
- Create the required list(s) using the EMG Console: Email lists which include the email addresses of the users affected and Keyword lists if you need your policy to encrypt messages with specific keywords.
- Create the policy.
- Test the Policy.
The below example outlines the step-by-step process of creating an Encryption Policy based on HIPAA template.
- Purpose of the policy: all the messages which have US Social Security Number in their subject or body must be encrypted.
- Click Add Policy in Home > Policies.
- Add name and description to the policy.
- Configure conditions. In this example we are using US SSN list which is included with HIPAA templates. To create a custom list follow the instructions.
- Choose the Encryption method and click Save.
Note: Choose Custom. Unauthenticated Pickup is optional, check it if you need the password confirmation on the recipient's side.
Domain to Domain Routing: All managed domains are connected to EMG via an encrypted Transport-Layer Protocol (TLS) connection.
TLS Encryption: EMG detects TLS-enabled domains and uses network-level encryption when available, eschewing complicated endpoint-based technologies.
Web Portal Encryption: The recipient gets a notification that he has an encrypted message waiting for pickup at the web portal. He can log in via web browser to pick up an email.
- Click Add a Keyword/Dictionary list in Policies > Keywords & Dictionaries.
- Create a list and click on Save.