To manage or view Email Protection settings, navigate to HostPilot® Control Panel > Services > Email Protection:
Email Protection uses multi-layer spam and anti-virus filtering engines that, besides checking against real-time blacklists, relies on a sophisticated analysis of message headers and text to determine the potential legitimacy of an email.
When a message meets a spam threshold, the filter can route such message to the Junk Email folder, User Quarantine, Admin Quarantine, it can deliver the message to the Inbox folder with the tags [SPAM] or permanently delete message depending on the options enabled. If the sender is on the whitelist (Safe Senders) either for the account or for the individual mailbox, spam checks will not be performed for the message to secure the delivery of them. Spam threshold can also be modified in the Email Protection settings.
Email protection provides additional options for anti-phishing and anti-spoofing filtering using multiple settings for routing the phishing messages to Quarantine, Junk, Inbox folder with the tag [POSSIBLE PHISHING] or by permanently deleting it.
Note: if you are unable to locate some messages, it is possible that they have failed the basic connection checks. Please contact Support or submit a Message Tracking request to find out why the messages were not delivered.
Three levels of Email Protection are available:
The following checks are called basic and are always performed:
- Check against RBLs (Real-time Black Lists) provided by CloudMark, Spamhaus and Invaluement.com
- Check for empty FROM field in Headers
- Check for a valid fully-qualified sender's (FROM) email address
- Check for a valid domain in the FROM address (check for a valid A or MX record)
- Check for valid recipient addresses within your organization
If an email message does not pass one of these checks, it is not accepted by the mail servers for delivery to recipients.
Email Protection Lite allows you to manage the settings for:
- Message Routing: select if the spam emails are delivered to Junk folder or to the User Quarantine, adjust spam sensitivity levels
- Policy Level Safe & Blocked Senders Lists: add users to Blocked and Safe senders
- Attachment Management: accept or reject messages with dangerous attachments
- Message Tracking: run a message trace for emails that have passed through Email Protection mail filters
- Email Reporting: create email reports for messages that have passed through Email Protection mail filters
- Understanding Categories: explanations on how categories in Email Protection works
With Email Protection, you have the same basic features as in Email Protection Lite plus:
- Policy Management: create additional spam policies
- Attachment Management: overwrite default settings for delivery of attachments
- LinkSafe™: keep URLs protected
- Phishing: manage Anti-Phishing and Anti-Spoofing policies
With Email Protection + DLP, you also have the ability to manage the outbound policies for messages sent out from your domain:
- Outbound Email Policies: filter all outgoing mailflow
- Outbound Quarantine Management: access and manage outbound quarantine messages
- DKIM Signing: enable DKIM signatures for additional anti-spoofing protection
Note: To change the package of Email Protection (Upgrade or Downgrade) navigate to Services>Email Protection>Package Management. For additional information refer to article Email Protection: Package Management.