In this article, you will find the instructions on how to archive mailbox data in Outlook 2011 and Outlook 2016 for Mac. Archiving is available when you enable the rule which is set up and run in your mailbox. The Archiving rule will help you move the data from the server to a folder on your computer to reduce the mailbox size.
If you are using Outlook on PC read the Knowledge Base article How Does Outlook Archiving Works? for more information.
- In Outlook 2011 or 2016 for Mac, go to Tools > Rules.
- Alternatively, go to Rules from the ribbon and select Edit rules:
- If all conditions are met: Selected.
- When a new message arrives: Date Received | is greater than | enter any number | days old.
- Do the following: Move Message | any folder on your computer.
- Do not apply other rules to messages that meet these conditions: Enabling this option is up to you and depends on your other rules.
- Enabled: Checked.
Note: When you run this rule for the first time, archiving may take a lot of time to complete depending on your mailbox size.