Overview of the IMAP Onboarding process
This overview outlines the Onboarding process and who is responsible for each part. Our Cloud Concierge team helps ensure that the correct migration plan is put in place to meet your needs for a smooth transition. Each part of this process is addressed in more detail in the Knowledge Base article Onboarding from IMAP server: Detailed description.
PHASE 1. ACCOUNT CREATION
- CUSTOMER: Contact Intermedia Sales Department to discuss the terms of account creation and further steps.
- EVERYONE: Once the first step is complete and the terms are agreed upon, an Intermedia representative will contact you to discuss your migration and put a plan in place based on your specific needs.
- CUSTOMER: Provides connection settings for current IMAP server and list of mailboxes to migrate.
- Intermedia: Tests connection to IMAP server and creates Exchange mailboxes.
- CUSTOMER: Verify that your account objects have been imported correctly. At this time you should also provide Intermedia with a cutover date when you will switch your end users to connect to the new account.
- EVERYONE: You will need to enable optional add-ons such as ActiveSync, Blackberry, Lync IM, archiving, etc in the HostPilot® Control Panel.
- Intermedia: Changes mail routing on your Hosted Exchange account to delivers to your current IMAP server by enabling Mail Filter Redirection.
- CUSTOMER: Change MX records for your domain to point to your new account and create Autodiscover record.
Note: If you are using a Cthird-party filtering solution and would like to continue using it after cutover, instead of changing MX records now, you need to change the forwarding from filtering solution to Intermedia MX records at the point of cutover in Phase 3. .
PHASE 2. DATA MIGRATION .
- Intermedia: Your mailbox data is exported from your existing IMAP mailboxes and imported into your Hosted Exchange account.
Depending on the volume of data and connection speed, there are several export and delivery options for PST’s containing your mailbox data.
Note: If you have provided necessary information about current IMAP server, Intermedia will perform initial data pull. Please note that IMAP data pull copies mail items only. Contacts, Calendars and any locally stored data need to be migrated using PST files after cutover.
- CUSTOMER: Verify that the mailbox data has copied correctly to the new account by asking users to login to Outlook Web Access.
Once you have verified the data has been copied correctly, the migration will proceed.
- CUSTOMER: Pre-configure profiles on your Outlook clients to connect to your new Hosted Exchange account. .
PHASE 3. DELIVERY AND END-USER CUTOVER .
- Intermedia: Confirm MX records have already been propagated through the Internet.
- EVERYONE: Cut over to the new account.
- Intermedia: Changes mail routing to now deliver to your new Hosted Exchange account by disabling Mail Filter Redirection.
Note: If you are using a third-party filtering solution and would like to continue using it after cutover, you need to change the forwarding from filtering solution to Intermedia MX record at this point.
- CUSTOMER: Create a new SPF record for your domain.
- CUSTOMER: Configure all your clients and devices to connect to the new server
- Intermedia: Intermedia will copy a differential of mailbox data from your current IMAP server to capture any new mail since the initial copy.
- CUSTOMER: If end-users have Contacts, Calendars and any locally stored data to Exchange mailboxes, you need to move them manually client-side.
- CUSTOMER: Verify that the data has copied correctly. Once you have verified the data has been copied correctly, the migration will proceed.
- EVERYONE: Intermedia will work with you to determine if the migration is 100% complete. Once both parties are in agreement that the migration is complete, the Onboarding case will be closed and your account will be marked as in production.