This article provides instructions on how to perform the following actions using FileZilla client:
FileZilla can be downloaded from http://filezilla-project.org/ for free.
- Type in the settings. Read our Knowledge Base article on How Do I Access My Server Via FTP? for more information.
- Host: Enter the hostname
- Username: Enter the username
- Password: Enter the password
- Port: Leave this field blank
FileZilla will then connect to the server, Remote pane (server content listing at the right side of the window) will switch from Not connected to any server to displaying a list of files and directories on the server, Remote pane status bar will display a number of file, directories and their total size and the Message Log will display connection related messages.
On the Remote pane side you'll notice that some of the directories have "?" (question marks) over them. That means that they have not been listed yet. Double-click on them to list them. You will see its content (subdirectories and files) listed in the lower Remote pane then.
On Windows 2008 accounts you may also connect to the FTP server securely. Read our Knowledge Base article How Do I Connect To My FTP Server Over SSL Protocol? for more information.
To upload or download files or directories:
- Select the files/directories
- Drag them from the Local pane to the Remote pane (or vice versa to download)
- Right-click the file/directory
- Select Upload (or Download to download)
The files will be then added to the Transfer queue at the bottom of the window, uploaded to the server and displayed in the Remote pane.
In case you try to overwrite a file during upload or download, FileZilla will by default ask what to do (overwrite, rename, skip...).
Note: Double-clicking on a directory/file will cause it to be transferred to the other pane immediately.
Virtual server logs are available for downloading. Read our Knowledge Base article How Do I Download Log Files? for more information.
To set up connection profiles to make connecting to remote servers quicker and easier you may add the server information to the Site Manager. To do this:
- Select File > Copy current connection to Site Manager.... The site manager will be opened and a new entry will be created with all the required settings already filled in.
- Enter some descriptive name so you will later on find your server again.
- Close the dialog by clicking on OK.
The next time you want to connect to this server:
- Click on Open the Site Manager button or select File > Site Manager
- Highlight the profile name and click Connect.