Q: Which file type are blocked by Desktop sync client (not synchronized)?
- Files starting with ~$ ?.tmp files ?desktop.ini ?thumbs.db
- Files and folders with names that contain the following characters: / or \
- File extensions: .lnk and .lck
- Reserved names: ".", "..", "CON", "PRN", "AUX", "CLOCK$", "NUL", "COM0", "COM1", "COM2", "COM3", "COM4", "COM5", "COM6", "COM7", "COM8", "COM9", "LPT0", "LPT1", "LPT2", "LPT3", "LPT4", "LPT5", "LPT6", "LPT7", "LPT8", "LPT9"
Q: Are Hidden Files and Folders being Synchronized?
- Hidden files should be synced as well as hidden folders.
Q: How long can a file path be?
- Backend file path limit is 750 characters
doesnot allow file paths longer than 256 characters. For this reason, SecuriSync® for Windows will not download any files that result in a path length of more than 256 characters. To prevent this, we recommend moving folders on SecuriSync to limit deep folder hierarchies.
Note: in Windows 10, this limit can be increased.
- The full path of Microsoft Office documents includes the drive letter, and all characters and folder names up to and including the name of the document. The entire path cannot be longer than 242 characters in Word, or 218 characters in Excel.
Q: Are Microsoft Office temporary files being synchronized?
- When Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) opens a file, it will often save a temporary file in the same directory. Office prepends these files with "~$". SecuriSync does not sync these files or any other files whose names start with the tilde and dollar sign.
Q: What configurations are not supported by
- Installation on external hard drive or on mapped network drive
- Installation on Parallels VMs
- Installation on Fusion VMs
- Folder redirection for Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos folders
- Symbolic links for folders included to synchronization: My SecuriSync, Documents and Desktop (even if folder is excluded from sync by policy or not picked up in Folder Selection)
- Multiple users on local machine (domain) cannot use the same installation of SecuriSync, even if installed with Admin privileges. Each user need to install desktop client themselves while logged in as user.
- Windows OS with .NET Framework version earlier than 4. You may update .NET framework using installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718
Also, note that some configuration may work for you, but considered unstable. We strongly recommend against this configuration:
- Documents and/or Desktop folder redirected to Network drive
- Documents and/or Desktop folder redirected to Removable drive
These will cause desktop client issues, when drive gets disconnected or change the assigned letter (for example E:\ becomes K:\ after re-connection)
Q: Can I use SecuriSync on external hard drive?
- We recommend only syncing to a local hard drive. Do not use desktop Sync client with flash drives, external hard drives, network drives, or any external media.