This article describes how to fix Cannot open your default Email folders. The information store could not be opened error when opening Outlook profile. In most cases, it is usually caused by:
- Remove old profiles you do not use from under Control Panel > Mail > Show profiles:
- Re-create an .ost file. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Create, Compact, Repair Or Delete Offline Folders (How To Rebuild OST file) for more information.
- If the issue persists, create a new profile from scratch:
- using Outlook Profile Helper (read the Knowledge Base article on What Is Outlook Profile Helper? How Do I Use It? for more information)
- or manually (read the Knowledge Base articles on How Do I Manually Connect Outlook 2007 To My Exchange Mailbox? and How Do I Manually Connect Microsoft Outlook 2010/2013 To My Exchange Server? for more information)
If the problem continues, it is most likely caused by Outlook client running in compatibility mode.
To switch off the compatibility mode in 64-bit operating system:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office XX\Outlook.exe
- Right-click on Outlook.exe and navigate to Properties > Compatibility tab
- Uncheck the Run this program in compatibility mode box, click Apply and OK.