This article provides instructions on configuring Exchange 2013 server with Intermedia Standalone Email Archiving.
Read the Knowledge Base article on Intermedia Standalone Email Archiving: Creating Users & Accessing MyArchive for instructions.
Configure SMTP Collector
- Login to HostPilot® Control Panel > navigate to Services > Standalone Email Archiving > click Manage Archive
- Click Admin on the top right > Collectors tab > Select Configure SMTP collector. This screen will display your unique Journal address.
- Copy this email address for use in the Exchange 2013 Mail Enabled Contact setup. Take note of the domain used in your email address, you will need this to set up the Exchange Connector later in this process.
Create Mail Contact
- Login to Exchange Admin Center and select Recipients > Contacts > Mail contact (from the drop down menu of Add Item button)
- In the new window, specify the name > paste the journaling email address that was gathered earlier > [select the Organizational Unit where the journaling contact will reside (optional)] > click save. The contacts page will display your the new journaling contact.
Create SMTP Send Connector (optional)
Creating a dedicated SMTP send connector for journaling is optional but highly recommended. It ensures that there is a direct connection to the smart host. Also, a dedicated connector is useful in isolating journaling transport issues.
- In the Exchange Admin Center select mail flow > send connectors > Add a new send connector.
- Enter the name for this Send Connector > select Custom for the Type option > click next.
- Under Network settings, select Route mail to smart host > add a new smart host > enter smart host IP or FQDN > click save > click next. The new send connector window displays with the new host listed in the SMART HOST section
- In the Address space window, select None for the Smart host authentication option
- Click Add a new address space > enter your journaling domain.
- Under Source server, click Add mail server(s) > select server from the table > click add > [Repeat this step for any additional servers] > click finish.
Note: by default, the maximum send message size is set to 10 MB. You can change the maximum send message size to 50 MB, this is the maximum message size Intermedia can accept.
To change the Maximum send message size: double click on the connector > choose the desired message size or enter in a custom value that is below 50MB in the drop down menu under Maximum send message size (MB).
To view the updated maximum send message size in the Exchange Admin Center: select mail flow > send connectors > select a send connector > the new “maximum send” message size is displayed in the right pane.
Restart the the Transport service (recommended)
*Restarting the Transport Service forces the new journal messages to route through the new journaling connector immediately.
- Open Exchange Management Shell.
- Enter the following command to restart services: Restart-Service "MSExchangeTransport"
- After service is brought back online, enter the following command to verify the service is running: Get-Service "MSExchangeTransport"
Exchange 2013 journaling options are based on the Client Access License (CAL):
- Standard CAL comes with Standard Journaling - set up journaling per database
- Enterprise CAL comes with Premium Journaling - set up journaling per database and journaling rules
- Select servers > databases > double-click on the mailbox database that requires journaling activation
- In the Mailbox Database window, select Maintenance > click browse next to the Journal recipient field > select the Journaling Mail Contact >click ok > click save.
- Repeat the above 2 steps for all databases that require journaling activation.
Journaling rules can be setup for internal messages, external messages, or all messages. To create a journaling rule based on a distribution group, the group must be created first.
- Select compliance management and then journal rules > Click + (New).
- In the new journal rule, enter the journaling address in the Send Journal reports to: field > enter the rule name > choose the desired options > click save.