This article describes the set up of Exchange 2010 Premium Journaling and Intermedia Standalone Email Archiving to work together.
Configure SMTP Collector
- Login to HostPilot and navigate to Services > Standalone Email Archiving, click on Manage Archive.
- Click on Admin on the top right > Collectors tab > Select Configure SMTP collector. This screen will display the automatically generated SMTP collector address. Copy this email address for use in the Exchange 2010 journaling setup.
Add your mail server(s) public IP address(es)
- In the 'SMTP trusted networks' click on Add Trusted Network.
- Enter the IP addresses as a range (example 255.255.255.1/32) and click on Create.
Note: Before start, confirm your mail server IP addresses are listed under “SMTP Trusted Networks” within your archive accounts SMTP collector configuration. Failure to ensure all are correct will result in mail not being archived by the Intermedia Standalone Email Archiving.
Create a New Mail Contact on your Exchange server
- Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 > Exchange Management Console.
- Select your Microsoft Exchange On-Premises instance > select Recipient Configuration > Mail Contact. On the Action pane, select New Mail Contact
- Select New Contact and fill in required information
- Click Edit next to the External e-mail address field and enter the SMTP collector address from step 1.
- Click OK > Next > New > Finish.
We recommend hiding this contact from your Global Address list. To do so: right-click and select Properties for the newly created contact > check the box "Hide from Exchange address lists".
Create dedicated SMTP Connector on your Exchange server
To reduce the load on any up-stream services we recommend setting up a separate SMTP connector for your archiving journal receiver.
- Expand Organizational Configuration > select Hub Transport within the management console > select the Send Connectors tab > select New Send connector…
- This will open the “New SMTP Send Connector” wizard. Enter the name for the new connector > select Custom as the intended use > click the Add… button to specify an address space > paste the address copied on the Configure SMTP Collector step > check the box "Include all subdomains" > set the Cost to 1 > click OK, Next, Next, Next and New to create the connector.
- We recommend setting TLS on this connection, to ensure your internal mail is encrypted whilst traveling over a public network.
- right-click on your newly created Send Connector > Properties > Network tab > Enable Domain Security (Mutual Auth TLS)
- Under Organization Configuration > Hub Transport > select Journal Rules tab > click New Journal Rule...
- Enter the rule name > click Browse and choose the Mail contact created earlier > ensure the Scope is set to Global > Enable Rule option should be checked > click New.
- If your configuration demands journaling only for specific users, check the option Journal messages for recipient and use the Browse option to select users.
Your Intermedia Standalone Email Archiving has now been configured. If you have any questions about your setup or would like to discuss the process in more detail please contact the support team.
Note: The details provided in this guide are general, based upon the Microsoft Exchange documentation. Ensure that:
- the correct type of journaling option is chosen based on needs, compliance and the architecture you have deployed;
- any changes to local infrastructure, that your journaling is still operating as expected;
- any type of mailbox/user migrations initiated, the expected journaling events are validated and operating as expected