The article describes how plugins may change Outlook behavior and affect its performance. The article is based on multiple cases reviewed by technical support and resolved by disabling the plugins. However, same plugins may work properly with Outlook occasionally.
The list of plugins and their impact on Outlook:
- Acrobat PDFMaker - Strips attachments, Cannot send or receive messages
- AVG - Deletes message body permanently
- ESET (NOD32) - Deletes message body permanently, Creates duplicated messages, Copies sent items to Outbox
- IVT BlueSolul - Crashes Outlook, Cannot send or receive messages
- Symantec endpoint protection (SEPM) - Slows Outlook performance
- Salesforce for Outlook (SFO) - Crashes Outlook
- GoToMeeting - Slows Outlook performance
- TeamViewer Meeting - Crashes Outlook
- Business Contact Manager Loader for Outlook - Does not allow to add an additional mailbox
To disable plugins, select your Outlook version:
- Outlook 2010/2013/2016: File > Options > Add-ins > Manage: COM Add-ins > Go > Untick the checkboxes > OK
- Outlook 2007: Tools > Trust Center > Add-ins > Manage: COM Add-ins > Go > Untick the checkboxes > OK
Note: For some plugins, you will need to restart Outlook for changes to take effect.