A Hunt Group is an automated service that helps with handling multiple inbound calls to your organization. When callers dial a phone number that is assigned to a Hunt Group, or are directed to the group from an Auto Attendant or User, the calls are automatically distributed to a group of agents who are prepared to answer calls.
Agents are user accounts that are assigned to a Hunt Group. Each Hunt Group can have any number of agents, and agents can be in any number of Hunt Groups simultaneously. Agents cannot change their own Hunt Group membership or Hunt Group settings. Agents can log in and out of a Hunt Group in My Services so they can regulate when they receive calls for a Hunt Group.
Additionally, external phone numbers can also be assigned as hunt group members.
In order to participate as a Hunt Group agent, a user must:
- Have voice services enabled and a phone configured.
- Be assigned to the Hunt Group as a member.
- Log in to the Hunt Group.
In this article we will cover the following topics:
- Create the Hunt Group
- Manage the Hunt Group
- Add agents to the Hunt Group
- Receiving calls as an agent
- Assign a phone number to the Hunt Group.
- Set up Email for Voicemail, enable call recording, specify how your HG will behave to both your callers and your agents.
- Set up Notifications for both Voicemail and Call recording.
- Set up Menu Options to provide alternate routing destinations for use in your HG.
- Set up Greetings for both Agents and callers.
Note: You can create one Auto Attendant and 10 Hunt Groups for your account as part of your plan. You may create additional Auto Attendants and Hunt Groups for an additional charge.
- Navigate to Services > Voice Services > Groups.
- Click the Create group button.
- Enter the Hunt Group settings:
- Hunt Group Name: Choose an easily identifiable name for the group; for example, Sales or Customer Service.
- Extension: Type 3-6 digit extension that is not assigned to a user or Hunt Group.
- Email for voicemail: email address where voicemails directed to hunt group's built-in voicemail box will be sent
- Ringing Order: Select the way calls will be distributed among agents.
- Longest Idle: An incoming call goes to the agent who has not been on the phone for the longest period of time.
- Round-Robin: Distributes the calls evenly by rotating the group member whose extension is tried first, then searching down the list in sequential order.
- Ring-All: Sends the incoming call to all of the group members whose extensions are available for a call.
- Sequential: Sends the call to the first free member of the list that is lowest on the list from top to bottom.
- Click the Create button
- Confirm charges for this operation on the next pop-up.
You can manage additional parameters of the Hunt Group that you have created.
- Change the Name.
- Change the Extension.
- Assign, change, or remove a Phone Number.
- Change the Ringing Order for agents assigned to the group.
- Adjust the E-mail for Voicemail address for notifications.
- Enable/Disable voicemail-to-text Transcription.
- Enable/Disable Call Recording
Note: This feature is only available if Call Recording is enabled on the account.
8. Max callers on hold: In case if this parameter exceeds the caller will hear a message, which you can choose. It can be custom, default or none.
9. Agent wrap-up time: The number of seconds an agent is considered "unavailable" after hanging up the phone. Calls will not be directed to the agent during this time. This allows the agent to make notes and prepare for the next call.
10. Hunt next agent after: The period of time after which the call will be directed to the next agent of the Hunt Group.
11. Unanswered idle time: The period of time an Agent will be temporarily removed from Hunt Group call routing if a call from the Hunt Group is not answered by the Agent.
12. HG timeout: Specify if the call should be routed if there are no HG members available to answer the phone call. Check to enable. When enabled, you can edit Timeout and Move a call to (13 and 14)
13. Timeout in seconds
14. Move a call to can forward calls to the following options:
○ Phone Number. Specify external phone number and timeout (how long this number will be ringing). If call is not answered during the timeout period, it will be routed to Hunt group voicemail.
Note: if you set long timeout call may be 'picked up' by the voicemail of external number. Make a test call to confirm the routing is working as expected.
○ Auto Attendant
○ Hunt Group
○ Voicemail: user
○ Voicemail: current hunt group
The Notifications tab allows you to enable email and text notifications for voicemail and call recordings.
The following options are present for Voicemail notifications:
- Email - enables email notification to the email address entered on General tab.
- Include voicemail transcription - Voicemail transcription will document the spoken words from a voicemail and provide them within the notification email. Note: this option is only present if voicemail transcription has been enabled on the general tab.
- Include voicemail file - includes an audio file with the voicemail to the email attachment.
- Delete voicemails on server - The voicemail will be automatically deleted from the server after the notification email is sent.
- SMS - send a text notification to a cell phone number.
- Mark voicemail as read after notification sent - automatically marks the voicemail as read once the notification is sent out.
Notifications for new call recordings can only be sent to email.
Menu options provide a means to create alternate routing destinations for use in your Hunt Groups. These alternate destinations may be accessed at any time while interacting with the Hunt Group, such as while on hold before an agent answers the phone call.
Click on the Set option associated with the button and choose the destination.
Note: It is IMPORTANT that you mention these routing options in your initial recorded greeting, repeating message and/or music on hold, as your customers will not be aware the options exist otherwise.
Greetings provide a method to relay information to your caller. You can set up multiple types of greetings that will play at different times during a phone call into your Hunt Group.
The Call flow example explains when each of the greeting types will be played, during the lifecycle of an inbound phone call. Each location where a greeting can play in a call is denoted with an icon for quick reference.
Types of greetings for the callers:
Types of greetings for the Hunt Group members:
For additional information on greeting audio file formatting, see How do I create a *.WAV or *.OGG file for my greeting?
In order to add agents to Hunt Group:
- Click on Add new agent
- Click the check mark next to the Users you would like to add.
- Click the Add button.
You can also add external phone numbers to Hunt Group:
- Click Add phone number.
- Enter the 10 digit phone number.
- Click Add.
Note: If you add a cell phone number or any number that has an answering service, you must remember to properly adjust the Timeout setting under Callers and Agents on the General tab. Having the Hunt Group timeout longer than the answering service ring time will result in calls being picked up by the answering service before the next agent can receive the call!
Once Agents are added to the list, they are able to log into the group from their VoIP device by using the correct dial code, assigning log in & out buttons to their device, or by an administrator using HostPilot:
How to log in and out of hunt groups directly from your IP phone:
- To log in the hunt group dial its extension and add '1'.
*XXX*1 (log into a hunt group with extension XXX).
- To log out of the hunt group dial its extension and add '0'.
*XXX*0 (log out of a hunt group with extension XXX).
For example, if you need to log into a hunt group with extension 300, dial *300*1. To log out, dial *300*0.
How to log in and out of hunt groups in HostPilot:
- Click on Log in to make an agent available for calls in the HG.
- Click on Log out to make the agent temporarily unavailable for calls to this Hunt Group.
How to assign log in & out buttons to an Intermedia Unite provisioned device:
- Navigate to the Devices tab and clicking the phone you wish to edit.
- Click the Line keys settings tab.
- Click Action next to a button choice.
- Select Work with Hunt Groups.
- Select the Action, either Hunt Group login or Hunt Group logout.
- Select the Hunt Gro up the agent will log in our out of.
- Adjust the Display on phone to an identifying name that will show next to the button on thhe device.
Make sure to also assign a log out button to another action button.
The Call Recordings tab allows you to manage your recorded phone calls. You can search the call recordings by the number or agent as well as specify the search period.
Call recording storage information:
- Each Hunt Group will store up to 400Mb of call recordings; this equates to approximately 55 hours of recording time.
- If you exceed 400mb, your oldest recording files are overwritten by new recordings.
- If you exceed 400mb, your oldest recording files are overwritten by new recordings.
- Hunt Group recordings stay in your recording storage until you delete them, or they are overwritten.
Reporting allows you to monitor various statistics for Hunt Groups and Agents.
To view the reports:
- Navigate to Services > Voice Services > Groups
- Click a Hunt Group Name
- Click on Reports.
Choose the date and the agent you wish to view the report for.
You will see different reports depending on your selection.
|Hunt Group Report:
Call Statistics Report:
On hold time Report:
Talk time Report:
Call length time Report:
Talk time Report:
Max time logged in Report:
Active calls Report:
Average call information Report:
Agent logs Report:
Active calls Report per agent:
Once Agents are logged into the Group, any calls that are received will automatically begin ringing to their device in the order of the ring method chosen.
Hunt Group CNAM adaption (for incoming calls)
When receiving calls from hunt groups, the Caller ID is modified to append the group name to the end of the Caller ID name (or 'CNAM') field on the display of your phone, to allow agents to quickly identify where callers are being referred from; this is very useful for agents that fill multiple roles and are in 2 or more groups.
The Intermedia Unite system accomplishes this by:
- Capturing the first 10 characters from the callers original Caller ID name. (example: CNAM:ACMEWarehouse = ACMEWareho)
- Capturing the first 10 character from the Hunt Group the call was received on. (example: HG Name:CustomerSupport = CustomerSu)
- Add ',' between the entries
- Inbound Caller ID Display Result: ACMEWareho, CustomerSu