The article describes the issues that are related to the absence, improper configuration or resolution of CNAME record used for
Below are the symptoms that may indicate the problem with
- Outlook 2016 cannot connect to the mailbox
- Free/Busy information in your calendar is not available
- Out of Office issues in Outlook
- Offline Address Book synchronization issues
- Sharing invitation does not work
- Shared mailbox auto-mapping does not work
- Public Folders are not accessible in Exchange 2013/2016
If you experience such issues, follow the suggested troubleshooting steps and read the information about
Read the symptoms description.
When configuring a profile for Outlook 2016, you may face the following error.
We are having trouble connecting to your account. Verify the settings below and make changes if necessary.
In most cases, this is caused by improper
If your account is hosted on the Exchange server and the Free/Busy information couldn't be retrieved in Outlook 2007/2010/2013 it is displayed as slash marks (\).
This can be caused by
If you see the prompt below trying to set up Out of Office in Outlook, this is
Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable. Try again later.
Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Set Up Out Of Office Assistant? once the problem with
If your Outlook cannot pull current Offline Address Book from Exchange server, the issue can be resolved as described in the Knowledge Base article on Problems With Offline Address Book.
If you see the prompt below when you try to send the invitation, that means that
Error while preparing to send sharing message.
For more information about sharing Calendars, Contacts, etc via Sharing Invitation read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Share (Let Others See) My Outlook Folders (Inbox, Contacts, Calendar etc.)?
If you shared a mailbox with the user and it does not show automatically on Navigation Pane in Outlook application, you need to check how
Starting from Exchange 2013 Public Folder feature requires the presence of
Read the information about
Important: the issues above can happen due to a different root cause, however absence of
- SCP lookup
Outlook gets information from Active Directory (on-premises Exchange server).
If the record cannot be obtained from local domain, the SCP lookup fails.
- HTTPS root domain query
Outlook, which is not connected to domain, uses the domain name part of SMTP address for this query: https://domainname.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
- HTTPS Autodiscover domain query
In case HTTPS root domain query fails, the lookup of https://autodiscover.domainname.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml is happening.
Note: if your website stores XML file mentioned in step 2 or 3, the
autodiscoverprocess will fail. Contact your Web developer to remove the page from the site, so that the response of the links will be, for example, 404 Page not found.
- HTTP redirect method
This step lets the Outlook find the Intermedia
auodiscoverserver. In case correct DNS record is configured for your domain name, Outlook will successfully finish process. autodiscover
Also, the value of
Follow the steps below to resolve the
- Make sure you have correct CNAME record configured for
feature. Follow the Knowledge Base article on What Is An Autodiscover Record And Why Do I Need It? to have proper instructions. autodiscover
- Clear DNS cache on your PC or Mac.
- On PC: open Command prompt and type in
ipconfig/ flushdns. Execute the command.
- On MAC OS X Yosemite: open the Terminal and type
in sudo killall-HUP mDNSResponder. Execute the command.
- On PC: open Command prompt and type in
- Run Test E-mail AutoConfiguration tool in Outlook to review on what step Outlook fails to connect. If you do not see the failed step in the log, contact Support and provide us the results, so that we could further assist you. Alternatively, you can run Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer, choosing Outlook Autodiscover radio button under Microsoft Office Outlook Connectivity Tests section. Follow the instructions and provide Support with results of the test.
- If the Autodiscover for your domain resolves correctly, but there is one machine affected where you cannot setup profile automatically or features that depend on
autodiscoverdoes not work, modify the hosts file following the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Find And Modify Entries In The HOSTS File?
- If the Autodiscover resolves using your local ActiveDirectory values and does not find the values kept by DNS hosting provider, follow Step 4 of the article How Do I Disable Autodiscover For On-Premises Exchange? to use HTTP redirect method and skip all initial lookups.
Note: the article provided in this step helps to resolve the issue of incorrect DNS resolution for all working stations included to your domain in case you were utilizing on-premises Exchange prior to migration of your mailboxes to Intermedia.
- If the test shows that
autodiscoverfails due to a presence of XML file on your website, contact your web developers to remove the files.
- If you have an existing Outlook profile and you utilize Outlook 2010 or 2013, which were set up manually or with Outlook Profile Helper, in Outlook navigate to File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Change > More Settings > Connection > Exchange Proxy setting and make the following changes:
- Switch Basic Authentication to NTML Authentication
- Check Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal name in their certificate check box
- Type msstd:exchXXX.serverdata.net, where XXX depends on your proxy server information that you can find in HostPilot > Home >Exchange Servers and Settings > Exchange Proxy Server
- Outlook 2016, which only can be configured when there is an existing
autodiscoverrecord for your domain, may take to long to connect to the mailbox, to resolve this refer to the known issue #2 in the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Configure Outlook 2016 To Connect To Exchange.
- When Outlook implements HTTPS root domain query it can fail due to incorrect SSL installed on your website. For more information read the Knowledge Base article on Autodiscover Security Certificate Error.