Intermedia Unite Desktop App can be deployed in an organization using a startup script of AD group policy.
Test this procedure on a small subset of computers before implementing it for the entire domain. To do this you can leave only test computer accounts in security filtering of the group policy or apply the group policy to the organizational unit that contains only test computers.
- Create a group policy for Intermedia Unite Desktop App installation.
- Download the following files and place them in Scripts folder of this group policy, or in another shared folder that will be accessible to computer account of your domain:
- .NET 4 setup redistributable from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718
- Intermedia Unite Desktop App setup
- Place the installation script into the Scripts folder of the group policy.
- Update the script so that
paths to NET installer and Intermedia Unite Desktop App setup are correct and accessible. .
- Add this installation script to the group policy in Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Scripts\startup.
Important: We do not recommend running the script under admin priviledges as this will lead to permissions conflict on the next update for the users. In case mandatory update is pushed, all users will need to enter admin credentials to proceed with update if the app is installed under admin privileges.
Example of installation script:
\\network\path\to\installer\Intermedia-Unite.exe /S /L*V "%temp%\UniteInstallLog.txt"
- /L*V "%temp%\UniteInstallLog.txt" - the log will be written to a temp folder. If the script is run under System account, that folder would be C:\Windows\temp
Setup will also create messages in the Windows Event Log upon successful or failed installation.