This artcile explains how to create users to manage web/FTP sites using HostPilot® Control Panel on the following platforms:
Note: If the Create User button is missing, this means that you have already created 50 users. The maximum number of site users allowed on an account is 50. The only workaround to this limit is to authenticate customers against a database. Read the Knowledge Base article on for more information.
Note: The instructions below are for non-FrontPage users only. If you have FrontPage 2000/2002 extensions installed, read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Add Users To My FrontPage Site?
To add users to your web/FTP site:
- Navigate to Web/FTP Server > Web Server > Site Users.
- In the Create New Web/FTP Site User section type in a username, password, select a home directory, check or uncheck FTP Read and FTP Write, then press the Create User button.
Note: FTP Read allows users to connect to your virtual server via FTP, and review files. The user cannot make any changes, but can review all files within his directory. FTP Write allows users to change the content on your virtual server from within FTP. They can upload new files, change existing ones, and delete or overwrite old ones.
- If you are getting an error Cannot create site user XXXX (Cannot create user (Cannot create user account (NetUserAdd failed (The user account already exists.)))), this means that someone on the server has already created a site user with this name and you will not be able to create it. You will need to select a different username.
- If you are getting an error Cannot create site user XXXX (Conflict of physical and virtual directory maps), this means that you have a folder within your /ftproot directory with the same name as the user you are trying to create. When you create a site user, a virtual directory is created in /ftproot that corresponds with the username. If you already have a real directory with that name in /ftproot, the system cannot create a virtual one. The solutions are either to rename the directory or to use a different username.
After the user is created, you may want to refine their permission. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Manage User/File Level Permissions On Windows 2003 Account? for more information.
See also a video on How To: Create a site user
To add users to your web/FTP site:
- Navigate to Users and click Create User button.
- In the General Settings section type in a display name, password, select a home directory, then press the Create button.
Note: If you have an Exchange account too, the Email Address (Login) that you specify for your site user should be different from any mailbox address created on the Exchange account. In case the requirement of the unique login address is not met an error message The UPN you entered is already in use. Please choose a different UPN will be shown.
By default FTP access is disabled. To enable FTP access:
- Navigate to go to Users and click the desired user name
- Under Web/FTP server tab click Enable FTP access
After the user is created, you may want to refine their permission. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Manage Access Permissions On Windows 2008 Account? for more information.
To add users to your FTP site:
- Navigate to Web/FTP Server > Ftp Server > FTP Users.
- Type in the usersname, choose a home directory, then press the Create User button.
On Linux servers web users can't be created using HostPilot, they should be created using .htaccess file. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Restrict Access To My Website? for more information.