Mailman is a powerful software for managing electronic mailing lists. A mailing list is simply a list of addresses to which the same information is being sent. Two common types of email mailing lists are announcement lists (e-newsletter lists) and discussion lists. Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to manage their accounts and for list owners to administer their lists. Mailman supports built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters, and more.
In HostPilot, Mailman Mailing List is a separate account module. Mailman resides on its own server which helps us to improve throughput and reliability of both servers.
This article describes the configuration of Intermedia Mailman installation offered to Web Hosting and Custom Email clients. The following topics are covered:
For detailed information on Mailman usage refer to Mailman documentation.
Mailing list (like a mail server) depends on DNS in its operations. We setup a special third level domain list.domain.name for each domain with the mailing list. Mailing lists only become operational when the DNS is updated - just like mail servers. This is also true for mailing list management interface - it also becomes available only when DNS is updated.
If you do not host your DNS records with Intermedia, you may need to contact your DNS hosting company and add the following records to your domain configuration:
|Domain name||Record type||Pointed to|
|list.domain.name||TXT||v=spf1 include:spf.intermedia.net ~all|
The two MX records that are required to be created point to the spam filtering cluster that checks all the incoming messages to prevent spam e-mails from being delivered to the Mailman mailing list.
There are following limitations for mailman list names and number of lists/subscribers:
- The maximum number of mailman lists per account is 20 lists
- The maximum number of subscribers per mailman list is 20.000 subscribers.
- The maximum number of subscribers of all mailman lists on one account is 100.000 subscribers.
- Mailman list names are server-wide names. This means that once list called "sales" is created at one of the domains, this list name cannot be used on any other domain on the same server. This shortcoming will be fixed in the future releases of Mailman.
- If your list is moderated, pending emails are stored for 1 month and then get deleted.
- There are reserved words that cannot be used as list names:
You can set your Mailman Mailing List Password by clicking on the Set Module Password link from HostPilot under Mailman Mailing List > Manage page: