As new technologies are released, you may find that you want to change your plan to take advantage of them. While we do our best to offer the largest number of technologies on all our plans, some items simply will not run on our older (legacy) plans. In these cases, it is necessary to change the platform which your account is run on to enable features that you want or need. For our Windows users, you have the ability to migrate your account from one server to another, without downtime.
Here is a summary of the migration steps:
1. You will need to generate a migration request via HostPilot® Control Panel. Navigate to Account > Plan & Pricing Information and choose the Change Platform option at the top. HostPilot sends this request to Intermedia Technical Support automatically.
Note: If your account is on the Prepaid 12-month plan, you will need to temporarily switch to a Month-to-month term so you can submit the platform change request.
2. Intermedia Technical Support will start the migration process: we will copy your account information and web server content to the new account name on the new platform and plan that you specified in your migration request. You should receive a message from us containing further instructions and a detailed report on the migration (the report includes which items were successfully copied and what items could not be copied, etc.).
3. You will need to check your website running on your new server using its IP address or auto-domain (this depends on the target platform selected). If the new site is working as desired, then you are ready to have your modules moved to the new account (this includes mail and domains, SQL, etc.).
Important: DO NOT MOVE MODULES YOURSELF. Instead, contact Intermedia Technical Support and request that we move your modules for you. Please make sure that you specify which modules you would like to move to the new account (or a note to move ALL modules if you want them all moved), and include information that confirms your identity.
4. Intermedia Technical Support will move the modules you specified and send you a confirmation message once this has been completed.
Note: If you do not host your domain records on Intermedia name servers, you will need to contact your domain registrar company to make the appropriate updates. Read the Knowledge Base article on What is a registrar? How do I find out who the domain registrar is for my domain? for more information.
5. Once DNS propagation is complete, you can terminate your old account to avoid double charges. Read the Knowledge Base article on What is DNS propagation? for more information on propagation.
We have answered some of the more common migration questions below. We recommend that you read through these questions and answers. Please feel free to contact Intermedia Technical Support if you have any additional questions.
Q: What platform or plan should I choose?
We currently offer migrations to Windows 2008 platform.
You may consult with your website developer to decide which plan fits your website needs.
Please note that ColdFusion plans are not available on our Windows 2008 Servers.
Q: Are there any costs or fees associated with migration?
Migration fee is $50. The setup fee will not be charged for the new account creation. Also, the monthly fee for the new account will not be applied for the current month.
Migration fee is waived for migrations to Windows 2008 Server from older platforms.
We highly recommend that you complete the migration and terminate your old account by 11:59 PM Pacific Time on the last day of the month migration has started to avoid double charges for keeping two active accounts.
Internal migration from shared web hosting to VPS or Dedicated web hosting is performed manually by an Intermedia system administrator and it's not free of charge. You can check the price on our website.
Q: Do you copy SharePoint sites/content?
Unfortunately, we cannot copy SharePoint site content to your new account from our end. If you wish to use SharePoint on your new account, please install SharePoint on your new account via HostPilot Control Panel > Web/FTP Server > Web Server > Website Tools > SharePoint Services, and then copy the content from the old account to the new account (using its new IP address) before requesting we migrate your modules. Read the Knowledge Base article on How can I backup/restore my SharePoint 2.0 site? for more information.
Please note that SharePoint services are not available on our Windows 2008 web hosting platform.
Q: Why can't my site users access my new web server?
After migration to the Windows 2003 platform, all site users are assigned random passwords (for security purposes), so you should reset them on your new account via HostPilot Control Panel > Web/FTP Server > Web Server > Site Users.
Due to differences in permission level structures on the Windows 2008 platform, it is not possible to copy site users during account migration from the older platform plans, so users need to be re-created manually (with the new email-based logins, as required). Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Add FTP Users To My Server? for more information.
Q: Will I need to change my code to work on the new account?
Different platforms have different versions of software installed, so you may need to change your scripts to run them on your new web server. This is one of the reasons that we send you information on how you can access your new web server, to allow you to view your code and make any needed changes before we migrate your domains and change your DNS records to point to your new account.
Please note that some of the components are deprecated on newer platform servers, so this can require some additional modifications to the scripts. Read the Knowledge Base article on Deprecated components in Windows 2008/IIS7 for more information.
Q: What happens to my old web statistics data?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to migrate web statistics data from one account to another. If you have your own log analysis software, you can always download your log files and run the old files through your own software. Read the Knowledge Base article on How do I download log files? for more information.